Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Feria, Tuesday 9 May 2006

John 10:22-30
A reflection on today's Sacred Scripture:So often I find I'm trying to figure out how best to live my life. The pull and tug of this world is strong and a life of prayer sometimes seems pretty dull and empty-feeling. Learned spiritual directors say that "dryness” -- a seeming emptiness -- is often part and parcel of growth toward God. Even though I've heard that, it doesn't always help. "What should I do?” I find myself asking God. In today's Gospel I heard some words that really shocked me. They came from the lips of Jesus after He was questioned about how long He was going to keep the Jews in suspense regarding His identity as the Messiah. Jesus simply said, “I did tell you, but you do not believe." The words made me recognize that Jesus has already told me (and all of us) everything we need to know and do in order to love and serve Him, to be happy even in this world and to have everlasting life. The problem -- my problem -- is that I haven't really fully believed Him; otherwise, there would be no uncertainty. Who would have thought it? Certainly not I! May the grace of this holy season extinguish even hidden and stubborn pockets of unbelief.

"The Lord is Risen as He promised. Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia."

Thanks be to God... have a blessed day

Ed.........