Friday, May 19, 2006

Feria,Friday 19 May 2006


Friends in Christ,
I was reflecting today on how quickly this life passes by.I guess that when you are young , you dont give it much thought, but when you progress on this pilgrimage... yes then from time to time, when you reach another milestone, like in my case my younger brother's birthday. He lives in Holland, quite far away from me and I dont see much of him and he turned 60 today. Where indeed has the time gone?His life has not always been easy, but he is offcourse like all of us, we all have our struggles, year after year. And no doubt from today onwards we face further challenges and difficulties. I looked for a verse from a hymn to accompany this reflection and I chose the first verse of Hymn 420 ( from the New English Hymnal):
'O JESUS, I have promised
To serve Thee to the end,
By Thou for ever near me,
My Master and my Friend;
I shall not fear the battle
If Thou art by my side,
Nor wander from the pathway
If Thou wilt be my guide. '

Dont you agree with me, that if you can identify with these words, then the load becomes lighter? I am absolutely convinced that it does. Where-ever you are tonight and you have not made the commitment as yet to serve Jesus Christ in your life, now IS THE TIME.

Thanks be to God

Ed Bakker.....