Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Ashwednesday ( the Beginning of Lent )


Lent
Lord, bless to me this Lent

Lord, let me fast most truly and profitably,
By feeding in prayer on the Holy Spirit.
Reveal to my myself
In the light of Thy Holiness.


Suffer me never to think
that I have knowledge enough to need no teaching,
widsom enough to need no correction,
talents enough to need no grace,
goodness enough to need no progress,
humility enough to need no repentance,
devotion enough to need no quickening,
streght sufficient without Thy Spirit,
lest standing still, I fall back for evermore.

Show me the desires that should be disciplines,
And sloths to be slain,
Show me the omissions to be made up
And habits to be mended.
And behind these, weaken, humble and annihilate in me
Self-will, self-righteousness; self satisfaction,
Self-sufficieny, self-assertion, vainglory.
May my whole effort to be to return to Thee;
O make it serious and sincere
Preserving and fruitful in result,
By the help of the Holy Spirit,
And to Thy glory,
My Lord and my God.
(Borrowed from The Anglican Digest, Lent AD 2007 - the author is Eeric Milner-White, 1884-1963)
May I wish you and all those you love and pray for a Holy Lent,
Yours in Christ,
Ed Bakker
Postulant TAC - New Zealand
By clicking on this link you will be able to read a medition for Ashwednesday - by the way see you in Church at Mass this evening.
Ed

No comments: