Monday, September 11, 2006

Feria


Friends in Christ,
Above is a picture of the undersigned when he was serving as Thurifer at Christ Church Anglican Church,Brunswick, Melbourne. This photo was taken about 10 years ago on Passion Sunday and I was preparing the light the charcoal in the thurible before High Mass. When you look at this picture you do ask yourself " where has the time gone" and indeed today when I am celebrating my birthday I am asking myself the same question. Although it is probably not much good to dwell too much on the past and at the same time it is not too good to be too much concerned with the future, you cannot help reflecting on your past life on a day like this.
When comes foremost in my mind that in spite of the fact that my road through this life over the years has been a rocky one and there are wounds of the past, which now have healed, I guess like so many other people as well, I seem to have the courage to plough ahead because of my Catholic Faith. My parents showed me the way and thank God I continued to walk in this way, in spite of the fact that it often was the narrow way. In full assurance of Faith I now look forward to a new year in my life.
John Newton, who lived from 1725-1807 wrote a wonderful hymn " How sweet the Name of Jesus sounds" and this hymn does reflect our journey through life, but with Jesus Christ on our Side. I pray that this hymn might be a reality for you as well:
How sweet the name of Jesus sounds
In a believer's ear!
It soothes his sorrws, heals his wounds,
And drives away his fear.

It makes the wounded spirit whole,
And calms the trouble breast;
"T's is manna to the hungry soul,
And to the wear rest.

Dear name! the rock on which I build,
My shield and hiding place,
My never-failing treasury filled
With boundless stores of grace.

Jesus my Shepherd, Brother, Friend,
My Prophet, Priest, and King,
My Lord, my Life, my Wy, my End,
Accept the praise I bring.
Weak is the effort of my heart,
And cold my warmest thought;
But when I see thee as thou art,
I'll praise thee as I ought.
Till then I would thy love proclaim
With every fleeting breath;
And may the music of thy name
Refresh my soul in death.
Yours in Christ,
Postulant TAC New Zealand

No comments: